A study conducted on the European Union’s (EU) concludes the use of biofuels and corn-based ethanol fuel may cause more damage to the environment than originally thought. They are calling for an end to the use of food based fuel products for protection of the environment, as well as, the worldwide food supply.
- Is BLM Phoning It In?By Matt WatsonSource: Soundcheck-WNYC Yesterday the Bureau of Land management released a new draft of its so-called “fracking rule.” To be fair, the proposed rule does represent a level of progress compared to sorely outdated rules on the books. But we’re dealing with critical issues here – not the kinds of things we can afford to only get half right. And u […]
- Gross Domestic Product: Grossly incomplete, but we can fix itBy Gernot WagnerVia EDF Voices. This first appeared online in an article posted at ensia.com. Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is broken. Robert F. Kennedy said as much in his first major presidential campaign speech. Simon Kuznets, the father of GDP, acknowledged its shortcomings. GDP is an imperfect indicator of human well-being at best, and outright misleadin […]
- Managing Our Nations Fisheries 3 Conference: Take away messagesAmerica’s fishing laws are generally working well to rebuild fish stocks, but there is still work to be done to make sure that our sustainable fisheries are sustainable for fishermen. That was the takeaway message from the recent gathering of the nation’s top fisheries advisors, scientists, members of regional councils and the eNGO community who […]
- Is BLM Phoning It In?
- April 2013 DroughtWeather disturbances moving in a very active jet stream flow intensified as they traversed an upper-level trough over the central U.S., sending a series of low pressure and frontal systems across the central and southeastern parts of the country. The resulting beneficial precipitation shrank drought areas in the eastern Plains, Midwest, and Southeast, with e […]
- April 2013 National OverviewThe April average temperature for the contiguous U.S. was 49.7°F, which was 1.4°F below the 20th century average. April 2013 ranked as the 23rd coolest such month on record and marked the coolest April since 1997 when the monthly average temperature for the contiguous U.S. was 48.0°F. The April average precipitation for the contiguous U.S. was 2.90 inches, 0 […]
- April 2013 Global HazardsNot Available […]
- April 2013 Drought